Powered by Blogger.

ARE WE LIVING IN THE AGE OF NARCISSISM?

by - July 15, 2019

ARE WE LIVING IN THE AGE OF NARCISSISM?

Photo credits:Jose Martinez
There is a world famous painting by Dali called the metamorphosis of Narcissus.I don't claim to know art but i am usually curious about the story behind an interesting piece of art. This great painting depicts the story told in Greek mythology of Narcissus a handsome young hunter whom a girl named echo fell in love with.He was a proud guy who had broken hearts of many maidens in his day. When Echo showed interest he rejected her disdainfully causing her, heartbroken and sad to retreat and live the rest of her lonely life hidden away. 

One day as he was walking in the forest he passed by a pool and saw his reflection in the water. And behold! He had never seen a being so good looking, became transfixed on his image loving it, adoring it. He could not move from there, for days he stood there gazing amazed by his own beauty. With time he started wasting away since he did not eat or drink becoming weaker. At some point just looking wasn’t enough and he wanted more; to embrace that captivating image and as he leaned over to touch it he fell into the pool too weak to swim he drowned and died.

It’s from this story that the term narcissism was coined which usually refers to being fixated (obsessed) with oneself; physical appearance and public image. Someone that is narcissistic is driven by their own ego always about themselves. They are only interested in their own gain and welfare and are unable to see past their needs. The story of narcissus gives us warnings about selfishness and pride. It teaches us lessons in humility and looking past our own comfort unto to those of others.

Has the spirit of narcissism taken over the world today?

Let’s take a look: the need for self-sufficiency has led to a society that is divided. All we care about is me myself and I. My successes, my family, my house, my choices and my life. We have moved away from community living to individual living; no longer a society that looks after one another. We do not care to know our neighbors or their lives. I remember a time as a child when people used to visit each other for no reason other than just to see them and how they were doing; a time when one would borrow basic things like sugar or flour from the neighbor without expectation of having to be refunded. Back then people gave generously with a sincere desire to help.

What about the new age famous teaching about self-love? On the surface it appears to be a positive thing that encourages growth and self-esteem but underneath lays the seed that grows into ego and selfishness. This teaching has created a people that only care about themselves. Like narcissus; they are unable to look away from their own reflection. Captivated by their successes, their problems and what they need to have.

It gets even better with the social media craze. We need…no must post what is going on in our lives. This is what is going on in MY life; i am travelling to a.b.c, I am eating e.f.g, I am wearing this and that.It does not stop and we can’t do anything even mundane activities without having to capture them and show to the world. We are obsessed with ourselves and just like Narcissus we are oblivious to it.

What am I saying? Words.

I am not perfect; I have been guilty so many times of pride and selfishness. I have lived not taking a moment to look at someone other than me and that is a horrible realization to come to. Finding out just how selfish you are. I always thought everything was about me; if someone didn’t talk to me they had an issue with ME, if they ignored me they hated ME, if they did what I did they were copycats that wanted to be ME. Then later I thought my problem was low self- esteem, i started hearing about self- love and learning about having a better image about oneself,how you have to put yourself first.., turned out I was just trading one form of narcissism for another. A healthy image is a godly image.

I recently listened to a certain pastor teaching on Ecclesiastes and it was a real eye opener to this truth. He was talking about the background of King Solomon (the author of Ecclesiastes) in the bible and the circumstances surrounding the authorship of this Book. Great a King as he was, Solomon was a narcissist. He is the richest person to have lived on this earth, in one year he made roughly between $1,092,906,000 and $1,165,766,400 in U.S. dollars! from taxes, gifts from other kings, leaders and people, commerce and trade, tribute money from other nations (1 Kings 4:24) this not including inheritance from his father King David and not just that but he also lived at a time of peace, had all the women he could get at his beck and call. 

The bible records for us that Solomon became so rich that all the utensils in his palace were made out of gold and that silver became as common as stones in Jerusalem(1 kings 10:27,2 chronicles 1:15). He had, in our society standards made it in life. Yet towards the end of His life as he writes Ecclesiastes with all that he had acquired for himself in search of the meaning of life, realizes he is not fulfilled(Ecclesiastes 2). The book ends with Solomon coming to a conclusion that the meaning of life is in truly knowing God and worshiping Him.

Like me, when most people hear narcissist they think Hitler because of the grand scale of his actions but have we examined ourselves. Maybe, just maybe there is a little narcissist living inside of us...or a big one😉😉. Let me challenge you. Do you know your neighbor’s name; their kids, their spouse? Or do you just happen to see them in passing as you leave or come back from work? Take time one day to say hi and just ask how they are. If you can, ask them what they would like you to pray about for them.

As always we would love to know what you think. If this article blessed you share with a friend, like or both.

Love muchly,
Liz.😍😍

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have really really loved this article.It's has just made me examine my life.I must admit I also thought narcissism was nothing like me but I guess I have some of it.Thanks Liz. May the Lord bless you richly as you enlighten us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate and praise God for you sister.Glory to Him for it is He who gives us wisdom for living. True,sometimes we may not see ourselves with clarity until the Lord reveals it to us.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by.Share your thoughts with us.